Page 1 of 4 previous Page 1 2 3 4 next Page

AMPHIBIANS

in Wildlife Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:36 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,

Not too sure how things are on the 'Frog front' where you are, but I noticed some minor movement earlier tonight when I walked the dog - 7 Frogs in 40 minutes!. When I got home I put the garden light on and there's already a few in the pond & three on the lawn - fabulous!

Spring has finally sprung 'n' all that!

Cheers, Dougie.

Scroll up

RE: AMPHIBIANS

in Wildlife Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:39 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

I havent checked mine yet but I might go out and have a look!!!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:59 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Just had a quick check of my pond and didnt see anything. Yet!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:31 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Keep checking Jason, you'll get them eventually, I'm sure mate.
Lots of 'still water' habitat has been lost over the years, so garden ponds are hugely important in this day & age, for our frogs, toads & newts to survive.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Dougie.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:07 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Had another look in my pond tonight and low and behold, success!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Wayhey! excellent news, Jason.

Well done mate!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,
Quick cuppa with Mick at the lighthouse this morning, then it was off to work, in the coastal park (car park) for an hour or so, to fit fine mesh over the storm drains to stop the frogs & toads that are returning to the nature reserve pond to spawn, from falling into them....
I lifted the drain covers and scooped out 13 lucky toads, saving them from a certain watery grave job satisfaction at its very best!
Cheers, Dougie.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Great job Doug just wish I had of made it to help out but you know the (91 year) problem I had trying to get there .

John

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:08 pm
by Dougie | 160 Posts

Hi Folks,

Lots of activity in the garden pond this afternoon, with 9 frogs on the surface, all playing mixed 'water rugby'

Cheers, Dougie

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 am
by Laurence | 50 Posts

Hello Dougie,
About 70 odd Frogs in mine croaking away all trying to "dance" with each other,loads of spawn too,lets hope the frosts don't kill it,never clocked a Newt yet but they will be in now!...................Laurence :)

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:45 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

Erm, I've only seen 2 frogs in my pond so far! I feel very inadequate.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:59 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Worse still - none in mine!!!

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:57 pm
by jason | 255 Posts

I feel better now!!!

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

Nothing in my pond either Brian, but it's only been in place since last September and I haven't even got round to putting plants in it yet! Living where I do it's highly unlikely that any amphibians will just wander down the street and set up residence in my pond, so I may need to "steal" a few frogs or newts from my mams garden once the plants and bog area are in place.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:11 am
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi Rob,
When i did a garden pond survey across the Borough a few years ago, out of 100 or so ponds, only one didn't have frogs and it had only been dug a couple of months, so I think patience is the key. Frogs were widespread all over the Borough and seemed to find new ponds quite readily. Toads much prefer deeper ponds, so are less likely to colonise garden ponds. As for newts, smooth newts were scattered throughout the borough and palmate newts were less common and only recorded in Boldon, Whiteleas, Whitburn & South Shields.
As for moving animals in yourself, generally this is not recommended as its possible to move around diseases and undesirable pond plants - this advice sheet from Froglife explains more: http://www.froglife.org/documents/FroglifeAdviceSheet1.pdf
Clare

Scroll up

Page 1 of 4 previous Page 1 2 3 4 next Page

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: