Page 3 of 4 previous Page 1 2 3 4 next Page

RE: AMPHIBIANS

in Wildlife Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Originally posted by Steve Egglestone

Originally posted by Jarra Sid
A couple of shot's of some of the newt's we caught In bottle trap's.Hope to get a few of you lad's down for next one.

Great shots Sid!.. I will pass Nicky's email onto the lads for them to chew over the dates etc.

Thank's Steve.Good to bump into you today.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:35 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Got this photo from my pond this afternoon. I thought frogs didn't hang around around in ponds once they had spawned?

My frogspawn hatched but then the tadpoles disappeared. I think my fish must have eaten them.

Brian

Attached pictures:
BF1.jpg

Scroll up

in Wildlife Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:08 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Might be Newt Survey at Bede's World next week If anyone Is Interested.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:08 pm
by Michael_A | 74 Posts

Frogs can be in pond all year, newts, dragonfly larva and great diving beetles all make a meal out of tadpoles. I've no tadpoles even though i had mass's of frogspawn. No fish in my pond but lots of said species.

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:00 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Originally posted by Michael_A
Frogs can be in pond all year, newts, dragonfly larva and great diving beetles all make a meal out of tadpoles. I've no tadpoles even though i had mass's of frogspawn. No fish in my pond but lots of said species.

Thanks Michael, I always thought that frogs only went into water to spawn and hibernate but spent the rest of the time on land.

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:17 am
by johnsulli | 719 Posts

Hi All
A neighbour has a lot of frog spawn in his garden and wishes to give some away and thought if anyone has a new pond installed it might be OK to start the pond off with this spawn.

Regards

John

follow us on twitter: @CCGorg

Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:06 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Here's some at pond at Straker Tce...

Attached pictures:
DSCF0257-1.JPG

Last edited Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:08 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:12 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi John,
It's generally considered a bat idea to move spawn around as you can also inadvertently spread disease between amphibian populations, and move undesirable plants too.
According to Froglife, there's no such thing as too much spawn. There's lots of info here on what they do and don't recommend and why: http://www.froglife.org/advice/FAQs/spawn_tadpoles/index.htm

Cheers
Clare

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:27 am
by Nicky | 18 Posts

I have been walking various sites in the hunt of lizards or slowworms without success,
I have heard that there are a few lizards in he Cleadon Hlls vicinity, but I'm wondering:
Have you EVER seen a lizard or slowworm in Souh Tyneside? Or heard reports of them?
Have you recently seen any?
Have you ever seen anything in the dunes area?

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:57 pm
by Brian.G | 475 Posts

Nicky

I have never seen lizards or slow worms in South Tyneside. Despite the information board on Cleadon Hills mentioning common lizards I have yet to see one there and I am up there most days.

Brian

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:47 am
by Spyrites | 1 Post

Hi,

While in the Marine Park I noticed a turtle / terrapin basking in the sunshine on the surface of the lake, must have been about 6 inches long, before I could take a photograph it ducked below the surface.
I presume this has been dumped by some misguided person!
Anyone else seen this creature or know what it is?

Spyrites

Scroll up

in Wildlife Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 pm
by Steve Egglestone | 664 Posts

Originally posted by Spyrites
Hi,

While in the Marine Park I noticed a turtle / terrapin basking in the sunshine on the surface of the lake, must have been about 6 inches long, before I could take a photograph it ducked below the surface.
I presume this has been dumped by some misguided person!
Anyone else seen this creature or know what it is?

Spyrites

Not seen it myself on my walks here but will keep watching for the reptile now..
If its only that size its surely not been here that long? I wonder if it will become tame here feeding off the sliced white etc. many a park visitor provides? I know theres a population of sticklebacks still in the lake as a Cormorant often catches them when it visits.
Welcome to the forum and pleased to see your first post.

Nicky... Ive never seen any reptiles etc. either around our area ( bar the released ones etc.). But it was interesting what the bloke repairing the walls over Cleadon hills mentioned a few months back regarding Lizards.

http://southtynesidebirder.blogspot.com/

Last edited Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:26 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:35 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

We carried out torchlight survey of the ponds in Whitburn Coastal park last night as part of the toad monitoring project. No toads but we did see a few frogs and large amounts of frogspawn. There was spawn in all three ponds, most of it was in the reedbed pond with smaller amounts in the other two.
First toad seen today on the 'wrong' side of the wall so the toad migration may have finally started.
Clare

Scroll up

in Wildlife Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:38 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Frog Spawn at Church Bank Pond....

Attached pictures:
DSCF1688-001.JPG
DSCF1690-001.JPG

Last edited Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:39 pm | Scroll up

in Wildlife Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

More Frog Spawn...Plus Tadpole's beginning to show..

Attached pictures:
DSCF1733-001.JPG
DSCF1736-001.JPG

Last edited Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:29 pm | Scroll up

Page 3 of 4 previous Page 1 2 3 4 next Page

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: