Large House Spiders - can you help?

in General Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

WANTED - Large House spiders from Tyne & Wear, south-eastern Northumberland and north-eastern County Durham.

Can you help with a research project investigating the distributions of species of Large House spider in North East England?

These large, brown spiders are mostly seen in August through to October when males run across floors and frequently become trapped in baths and sinks. They have a body length of 1 to 1.5 cm and long legs (see right). If you, or a relative or friend live in the regions of interest, and are prepared to capture spiders alive, Id be extremely grateful.

They should be sent in individual containers (e.g. half a toilet roll tube sealed at the ends) punctured with a few small air holes and containing a scrap of damp, not wet, tissue. Pack the tube(s) in a crushproof container and post to: Dr Geoff Oxford, Department of Biology (Area 14), University of York, Wentworth Way, Heslington, York YO10 5DD. Please supply your name and address and for each individual write on its container the date found, the post code it was found at and exactly where it was found e.g. inside a house, garden shed etc. It may also be possible to identify dead, dried individuals.

All material will be acknowledged and postage costs reimbursed.

For more information, please e-mail: geoff.oxford@york.ac.uk

Scroll up

RE: Large House Spiders - can you help?

in General Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Anyone I.D this...Seen It running across kitchen floor tonight..

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSCF0740-002.JPG 

Last edited Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:19 pm | Scroll up

in General Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:22 pm
by Clare | 63 Posts

Hi All,
Can I just give you a nudge on this. Geoff is particularly keen to get spiders from South Tyneside as he needs them for his study. I've sent one off and it's not too much trouble - just hang onto empty toilet roll tubes and tubs (like ice-cream or margarine) ready to package them up.
Cheers
Clare

Scroll up

in General Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm
by Rob Adair | 397 Posts

I've yet to see a big spider in the house since we got the cats

http://www.robadairpetcare.co.uk

Last edited Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:34 pm | Scroll up

in General Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:36 pm
by Paul Dan | 280 Posts

Like Rob we don't get many spiders in the house with having cats (at least not whole live ones)

I did have one in the bath on Monday had I known it would have been packed up and sent off. If there are any others I'll do so

Scroll up

in General Sat May 10, 2014 6:25 pm
by Jarra Sid | 938 Posts

Seen this spider making use of Telescope at Souter...

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 DSCF2123.JPG 
 DSCF2127.JPG 

Last edited Sat May 10, 2014 6:26 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Louise
Board Statistics
The forum has 131 topics and 6552 posts.

0 members have been online today: